What to Do After an Oakland Dog Attack
Dog attacks are not only physically painful, but also emotionally traumatizing and financially draining. Regardless of the victim’s age, a dog attack can result in major injuries and permanent disfigurement and scarring. If you have been injured in a dog attack in Oakland, it’s important that you have a thorough understanding of your legal rights and options.
Here is a short checklist of steps you should take immediately after a dog has attacked you:
- Gather information. Ideally, you should be able to obtain the name and addresses of the dog owner, the people who had custody of the dog at the time of the attack and of anyone who may have witnessed the attack.
- Take photos. It’s a good idea to take photos not only of where the dog attack happened but also of your wounds before they are treated. Then, you should continue to take photos as you heal.
- Seek out medical attention right away. The best way to begin the recovery process is to seek out immediate medical attention. If you fail to see a doctor in a timely manner, your wounds could get infected and become much worse. Failing to document your injuries could hurt your chances of receiving fair compensation.
- File a report. You should notify your local animal control agency and file a report. Obtain a copy of the report for your records.
DO NOT rush into a settlement with a defendant or an insurance company. If you do so, you will be unable to seek and obtain compensation for future medical expenses like cosmetic surgery, which aren’t usually covered by health insurance companies.
Contact an experienced Oakland personal injury lawyer who will remain on your side, fight for your rights and ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your significant losses. Balamuth Law can help. Contact us at (888) 254-1234.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101