Common Causes of San Francisco Bay Area Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall, or trip and fall, accidents are extremely common and can result in serious injuries for the accident victim. Slip and fall accidents are the most frequent type of accident that leads to personal injury, second only to motor vehicle accidents. In addition, these types of accidents are a leading cause of workplace accidents and injuries. There are a number of situations and circumstances that may cause a slip and fall accident, so in order to prevent Californians from suffering this type of incident, it is imperative to understand the potential causes of a slip or trip and fall accident.
The following are five common causes of California slip and fall accidents:
- Wet or slippery surfaces: Wet or slippery surfaces are a major cause of slips. Floors that are highly polished, such as marble or terrazzo, can be slippery when dry and the chance for a fall is increased when the surface is wet or slick. Food preparation areas, kitchens, and residential dorm bathrooms are high risk areas for slip and falls.
- Environmental conditions: Walking outdoors in the winter can be hazardous for passersby as snow or ice on sidewalks, streets, or parking lots can lead to a dangerous slip accident.
- Changes in elevation: Even the smallest change in elevation can cause a trip and fall accident, and major causes include potholes, cracks in sidewalks, and curbs.
- Insufficient or inadequate lighting: Poor lighting can make walkway obstacles or changes in the walking surface difficult to see and increase the risk of an accident.
- Stairways: A majority of falls occur on stairs, and as such, it is important for building owners and those responsible for maintenance to keep stairs in excellent condition by practicing safety measures such as securing handrails or ensuring coverings are not deteriorated.
Enduring a slip and fall accident can be quite traumatic for the victim, and recovery may be lengthy and expensive. If you have been injured in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, contact a skilled Oakland slip and fall accident attorney at Balamuth Law. We understand the obstacles you may face following an accident and will work diligently to ensure you get the compensation you need to heal. To discuss your case with us at no-cost, call (888) 254-1234.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101