fire burn injury prevention | Northern California Personal Injury Blog
Every household should have an active fire prevention and evacuation plan in place. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) calculates that over 386,000 accidental fires occur in homes every year. Based on data from 2006 to 2008, every year over 12,500 injuries and approximately 2,400 deaths resulted from fires.
The week of October 9 to October 15 was Fire Prevention Week, and the CPSC and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) worked together to remind families across the country about the importance of fire preparedness. The two government groups gave the following advice for staying safe, in addition to some other tips, as part of a special guide:
- Be very careful with fireplaces and heaters: These household devices comprised the second biggest source of residential fires (just after kitchen appliances) during 2006 to 2008. Almost 57,000 fires and 220 fatalities resulted from fires in that period, according to the CPSC. Fireplaces accounted for the majority.
- Beware of mattress fires: Mattresses are a common source of house fires. Make sure your mattress is certified by federal flame resistance specifications. Always safely extinguish candles when exiting any room, and never let kids play with any kind of flame.
- Don’t smoke: And if you do, never smoke while in bed. Smoking caused the highest rate of deaths due to home fires, approximately 600 every year during the 2006-2008 period.
Additional tips covered in the CPSC/ NFPA guidelines include: kitchen and electrical safety, the proper use and placement of smoke alarms, and the formulation of a solid family evacuation plan. If you or a family member has suffered a burn injury in Northern California that you believe was caused by another party’s negligence, contact the Walnut Creek burn injury attorneys with Balamuth Harrington. Call 1(888)254-1234 for a complimentary case review.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101