nfpa safety tips | Northern California Personal Injury Blog
This time of year is full of tasty food, and the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday always serves as an annual benchmark for festive menus. But with all the time spent preparing meals in the kitchen and the constant flurry of holiday distractions, the risk of household fires increases as well. In 2009, according to data by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the amount of residential kitchen fires on Thanksgiving was three times the daily national medium. For that reason, the NFPA urges every household member to practice fire safety when fixing meals this season.
Data suggests that kitchen fires are the leading cause of residential fires and related personal injury. From 2005 to 2009, fire departments across the United States responded to an approximate average of 155,400 home blazes that involved kitchen apparatuses. Yearly, those fires resulted in an approximated medium of 4,800 injuries, 390 fatalities, and $771 million in property destruction.
To decrease the risk of kitchen fires this year, follow these fire prevention tips as advised by the NFPA:
- Keep flammable items far away from the stove. These include stove mitts, wooden components, plastic or paper packaging, towels, curtains, clothes, and others.
- Never leave a hot stove or oven unattended. Always turn off the heat, even if you only intend to leave the kitchen for a small amount of time. Remember: most destructive fires start when a cook only intends to leave the kitchen “for a minute.”
- Use timers to keep on track of your cooking schedule, and to remind you when something is ready to be removed from the stove or oven.
And if a small grease fire does ignite, turn off the stove or oven immediately and cover with a lid. But if it continues for more than 30 seconds, dial 911 for expert assistance. If you’ve been injured in a Northern California fire that you think was caused by another party’s negligence, call the northern California burn injury attorneys with Balamuth Harrington at 1(888) 254-1234 for a free consultation.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101