northern california bike accident lawyer
May is National Bicycle Safety Month. For many, being aware of bicycle safety – whether you’re in a vehicle or on a bike – can help avoid serious injury or death. Bicycle accidents are the single largest cause of death among children under 14, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS). Many of these bicyclists don’t know the safest ways to ride a bicycle, especially in traffic.
The number of bicycle crash-related deaths in California has stayed steady over the past few years, according to OTS statistics. However, the number of injuries has increased slightly, along with the number of bicyclists on the road at any given time. Some tips to help you and your family avoid injury include:
- Choose helmets that fit properly and are approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). If a helmet has been involved in a serious accident, discard it and get a new one. It may not be fully able to protect you in a crash, even if it looks fine.
- Before riding, make sure your bike is in good condition, with properly inflated tires, working brakes and gears, and all reflectors secured in their proper places.
- Follow the rules of the road. Don’t cut between vehicles or lanes, especially at stoplights or intersections. Wear brightly-colored or reflective clothing to increase the chances that motorists will see you.
Bicyclists can be seriously injured in a crash with a car or other vehicle. They can also be hurt if a defective bicycle part gives way during a ride. If you’ve been injured in a bike accident, call the experienced Walnut Creek personal injury attorneys at Balamuth Law today at (888) 254-1234 for a free, confidential consultation.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101