pregnancy seat belt safety
The purpose of seat belts is to serve as a harness to hold the vehicle’s occupants in place during a collision or rollover accident. Holding in place also means inside the vehicle. Far too many lives are lost when occupants are thrown from their vehicles, thereby losing the protection the steel cage of their vehicle provides. Personal injury lawyers who represent clients who have been seriously injured in car crashes understand how important seat belt use is.
Should Pregnant Women Use Seatbelts?
Many may believe that the pressure of a seat belt against a pregnant woman’s abdomen would cause the unborn baby harm. This is untrue. According to smartmotorist.com, a pregnant woman’s body contains the muscles, bones, organs and amniotic fluid which provide a cushion for the fetus. Pregnant women can best protect themselves and their unborn babies by using seat belts. Research shows that women who do not use seatbelts while pregnant were less likely to understand the benefits of maternal seat belt use.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists urges medical personnel to counsel pregnant women on the proper seat belt fit. They offer the following advice:
- Pregnant women should position the lap belt under the abdomen as low on the hips as possible and across the upper thighs.
- The shoulder belt should be positioned between the breasts.
- The seat belt should have as little slack as possible. It should fit snugly.
If pregnant women are not driving, the safest place for them to sit is in the rear seat where seat belts should still be worn.
If your loved one has been injured in a Bay Area car crash, the personal injury attorneys at Balamuth Law want to help. We understand the difficulties that an injury accident can cause. Lives can be forever changed. If someone you care about has been hurt due to another’s negligence, call (888) 254-1234 for a free consultation.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101