san francisco bike crash attorney | Northern California Personal Injury Blog
California, like many states, has specific laws that bicyclists must follow when riding on public roads. These laws are in place to help improve the safety of bicyclists by reducing the types of situations most likely to cause injury. While you can’t always predict or prevent a motorist’s negligent or intentional bad behavior, you can use these rules to improve your own safety and help reduce the risks of a serious bicycle accident.
California bicycle rules come from two main statutes, the California Vehicle Code (CVC) and the Streets and Highways Code (SHC). Some key points of these laws for bicyclists include:
- Bicyclists have the same right to share and use public streets as motor vehicles, as long as they follow the same laws, rules, and regulations.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic, as close to the right shoulder as possible, unless you need to make a left turn or pass another bicyclist or vehicle, or unless you cannot ride on the shoulder because the road is narrow or obstacles or defects prevent you from riding safely on the shoulder.
- Bicycles should not use crosswalks unless the crosswalk is part of a multi-use trail that allows bicycles. In these situations, the bicyclist should use the crosswalk the same way a pedestrian would: by following any signals and watching carefully for traffic.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a bicycle accident, the dedicated northern California car accident lawyers at Balamuth Law can help you protect your legal rights and take the steps you need to secure necessary compensation for you or your family. For a free, confidential telephone consultation, call our office today at (888) 254-1234.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101