Walnut Creek Brain Injury Lawyer
Compensation for Victims of Brain Trauma
A brain injury can be a life altering event that impacts not only the victim, but the victim's family and their loved ones. The brain controls every function in the human body - movement, breathing, speech, etc. Something as simple as a slip and fall in the shower can affect the functioning of this vital human organ. A brain injury can be subtle and often its symptoms are overlooked. Don't take chances. Getting treatment should be your first priority.
After seeing a physician, next you should contact an experienced Walnut Creek personal injury lawyer. Whether your injury was caused by a slip and fall, an auto accident, sporting event, or a million other ways, you could be entitled to compensation for damages.
The legal team at Balamuth Law has successfully represented injured clients in northern California for over 20 years. Call our offices today at (888) 254-1234 for a free consultation.
Symptoms of Brain Injury
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate that 1.4 million Americans suffer brain injuries each year. Some brain injuries have obvious symptoms like cuts, lumps, bleeding, bruising, or unconsciousness. Other brain injuries aren't immediately noticeable at all. Here are some symptoms to look out for.
- Blurred vision
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Problems with concentration
- Poor coordination
- Slurred speech
- Confusion or disorientation
- Other sudden mood changes like irritability or anxiety
If you notice any of these symptoms in a family member or yourself after an injury, seek immediate medical attention.
Common Causes of Brain Injury
The CDC lists the following as the most common causes of brain injuries:
- Falls/falling – 40.5 percent
- Unintentional blunt force trauma (being hit by object or running into something) – 15.5 percent
- Motor vehicle or traffic accidents – 14.3 percent
- Assaults – 10.7 percent
Acquired Brain Injury
An acquired brain injury is one that doesn't involve a physical accident. These injuries happen when the brain is deprived of oxygen for a period of time. Common causes of acquired brain injury include:
- Childbirth (for infants)
- Near drowning
- Exposure to lead or other toxic substances
- Drugs and medication (overdoses, misuse, combinations of medications)
Some brain injuries will heal with time, but others can cause permanent damage that will affect the victim and their family for years. A brain injury can drastically impact the victim's personality and/or physical abilities (do a web search for Phineas Gage). Families and victims could be in for years of hardship and expenses.
If the negligence of another party caused or contributed to the accident, you could be entitled to significant damages to help pay for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Loss of career/employment/occupation
- Long term medical care, at home or in an institution
- Physical and/or cognitive therapy
- Permanent disability
- Loss of consortium (for your spouse or partner)
- And more
Personal injury claims can be long and emotionally draining for a victim and their family. Having an experienced attorney at your side can help alleviate some of this and also win you the compensation you deserve.
At Balamuth Law, we are compassionate about the immediate and long term welfare of every client. We will fight against insurance companies that don't have your best interests at heart. Call our Bay Area offices at (888) 254-1234 for a free consultation.
- Brain Injury Blogs
- What are the Treatments for a Traumatic Brain Injury?
- Traumatic Brain Injuries Can Have Serious Consequences
- Study Finds Concussion May Cause Long-Term Recurring Headaches in Children
- Traumatic Brain Injury & Concussion - CDC
- Traumatic Brain Injury - MedlinePlus
Balamuth Law has helped hundreds of people resolve their claims and obtain justice. Please look at some of our case results in our different practice areas to see how we have helped.
- $1,000,000 - $2,000,000
Recovery Range Truck Accident
- $1,000,000 - $2,000,000
Recovery Range Car Accident
- Oakland Car Accidents
- Oakland Construction Accidents
- Oakland Pedestrian Injuries
- Oakland Personal Injuries
- Oakland Slip and Fall Accidents
- Oakland Truck Accidents
- Berkeley Personal Injury
- Berkeley Car Accidents
- Berkeley Construction Accidents
- Berkeley Dog Bite Injuries
- Berkeley Truck Accidents