Oakland Truck Accident Attorneys
Hurt in a Big Rig Accident? Balamuth Law Can Help!
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2009, there were 3,380 deaths and about 74,000 people injured in accidents that involved large trucks. Compared with 2008, truck accident fatalities declined 20 percent from 4,245 to 3,380. Of the deaths in these accidents, about 75 percent were occupants in other vehicles, 15 percent were occupants in the large truck, and 10 percent were nonoccupants. Large truck accident-related injuries also declined when compared with 2008, from 90,000 in 2008 to 74,000 in 2009, an 18 percent decline. Of those injured in these accidents, about 76 percent were occupants in other vehicles, 22 percent were occupants in the large truck, and two percent were nonoccupants.
It is reassuring that these numbers are declining, but they remain alarmingly high. Truck crashes can result in catastrophic injuries or even death. Anyone who has been injured would be well-advised to consult with an Oakland accident lawyer to learn more about the legal options available to them. Failing to act quickly and obtain experienced legal representation can result in devastating financial consequences for a victim, as they may not receive enough compensation for their injuries and other losses.
Causes of Truck Accidents
If a truck driver is to blame for a truck crash, they could be held liable, as well as their employer. There are many potential causes of a trucking collision, including but not limited to the following:
- Poor maintenance. A truck that has faulty tires or brakes or other defective parts can put everyone on the roadway at great risk. Truck drivers, their employers, and their mechanics must ensure that the truck and its trailer are maintained regularly and properly as well as inspected to reduce the chance of a truck collision in Oakland and on the surrounding freeways.
- Inexperienced driving. To safely operate a large truck, it takes a significant amount of training, skill, and focus. A truck driver that is inexperienced or poorly trained has a greater chance of making a mistake or incorrectly reacting to an emergency situation.
- Improperly loaded trailer. If the weight a trailer is carrying is not distributed properly, it can cause the truck to jackknife.
- Driving while fatigued. There are strict regulations in place regarding the number of hours truck drivers are allowed to be behind the wheel without resting. However, some truck drivers and trucking companies regularly make unrealistic and difficult deadlines encouraging continuous driving, regardless of how fatigued a truck driver is. Drowsy driving can be as hazardous as drunk driving, and a truck driver who falls asleep at the wheel can cause anyone in the path of an 80,000 pound vehicle to sustain serious injuries.
Damages & Liability in a Truck Accident
It is not an easy task to investigate a large truck crash. Trucking companies immediately send their lawyers and insurance adjusters to an accident scene in order to protect their best interests. After a crash, it is critical that you get a skilled attorney on your side as soon as possible before important evidence, such as maintenance records and driver logs, are misplaced, lost, or destroyed by a trucker or trucking company. Failing to act in a timely manner could result in receiving a settlement that does not cover the true cost of the accident.
Free Consultation at (510) 832-3100
If you have been seriously injured in a truck crash, contact Balamuth Law. Our Oakland auto accident lawyers can help you understand your legal rights and options, as well as advise you on the best course of action based upon the specifics of your situation. Call (888) 254-1234 to learn more.
Balamuth Law has helped hundreds of people resolve their claims and obtain justice. Please look at some of our case results in our different practice areas to see how we have helped.
- $1,000,000 - $2,000,000
Recovery Range Truck Accident
- $1,000,000 - $2,000,000
Recovery Range Car Accident
- Oakland Car Accidents
- Oakland Construction Accidents
- Oakland Pedestrian Injuries
- Oakland Personal Injuries
- Oakland Slip and Fall Accidents
- Oakland Truck Accidents
- Berkeley Personal Injury
- Berkeley Car Accidents
- Berkeley Construction Accidents
- Berkeley Dog Bite Injuries
- Berkeley Truck Accidents