Walnut Creek Reckless Driving Accident Attorney
Legal Representation for Victims of Reckless Drivers
Being involved in a motor vehicle accident with someone who was driving recklessly can be a traumatic event for you and your loved ones. When someone drives a vehicle in a dangerous and aggressive manner, he or she is putting those around them at serious risk of injury or death. And by law, if that negligent behavior results in an accident, he or she can be held legally responsible for the damages that he or she directly caused.
To hold the negligent parties accountable, you need experienced legal counsel with a stellar track record. The legal team at Balamuth Law has been successfully fighting for accident victims and their loved ones for over two decades. We take pride in protecting our clients’ rights and getting them the justice they deserve.
What Is Reckless Driving?
In the state of California, the act of reckless driving has a strict legal definition. Under California Vehicle Code 23103 VC, reckless driving applies to anyone behind the wheel of a motor vehicle who:
- Is on a highway or in an off-street parking facility, and
- Is driving with a disregard for the safety of people or property.
A person charged with reckless driving can be charged with a crime, and the penalties can include a fine, imprisonment, and having one's driver’s license suspended. Examples of “showing a disregard for the safety of people or property” include, but are not limited to, these actions:
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Illegal or unsafe lane changes.
- Failure to yield right-of-way.
- Distracted driving.
- Failure to appropriately use turn signals.
- Taking part in street races.
- Running a stop sign or red light.
- Driving too fast in inclement weather.
- Passing and/or driving on the wrong side of the road.
If drivers are found to be guilty of taking part in one or more of these actions, then they can be charged with reckless driving. However, a criminal case will not get you money for your losses – to do that, you need to file a civil lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
Common Injuries From Reckless Driving Accidents
Being involved in a traffic collision of any kind can be a horrific event. However, reckless drivers can cause particularly severe injuries to victims due to the violent nature in which many of these accidents occur. Common injuries include:
- Neck and Back Injury- Victims of reckless drivers commonly experience whiplash - the jerking movement of the collision strains tendons, muscles, and ligaments. Even though they’re considered soft tissue injuries and harder to detect, neck and back injuries can be serious and take a long time to recover from.
- Broken Bones- Victims can suffer from broken ribs, legs, arms, ankles, wrists, and more. What may seem like a minor break that requires a cast can involve an extended amount of physical therapy once the break has healed, to restore range of motion and strength back to what they were before the incident. Severe broken bones can require physically taxing surgeries to properly heal.
- Lacerations- Cuts are quite common after a traffic collision of any kind. When glass or metal breaks upon impact, it causes minor cuts to deep lacerations that can require surgery to treat and can leave permanent damage.
- Internal Injuries- Traffic collisions can result in blunt force trauma to a victim’s body. Internal bleeding and organ damage should be treated immediately to minimize the risk of permanent damage or death.
- Spinal Cord Injuries- Some of the worst injuries that crash victims can suffer are to their spinal cords. These injuries can not only be excruciatingly painful, but also result in paralysis. These injuries typically require extensive physical therapy, and many victims never fully recover.
What Should I Do After a Reckless Driver Hits Me?
Getting proper compensation following an accident with a reckless driver can be an uphill battle, especially without an experienced Norcal car accident attorney in your corner. Balamuth Law has over two decades of experience protecting accident victims’ rights, and a proven track record of success. Don’t let anyone’s negligence throw a wrench into your life. Call us today at (925) 254-1234 for a free consultation and tell us the details of your case.
- Distracted Driving
- Hit and Run
- Mass Transit Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Reckless Driving Accident
- Rideshare Accidents
- Car Accident FAQs
Balamuth Law has helped hundreds of people resolve their claims and obtain justice. Please look at some of our case results in our different practice areas to see how we have helped.
- $1,000,000 - $2,000,000
Recovery Range Truck Accident
- $1,000,000 - $2,000,000
Recovery Range Car Accident
- Oakland Car Accidents
- Oakland Construction Accidents
- Oakland Pedestrian Injuries
- Oakland Personal Injuries
- Oakland Slip and Fall Accidents
- Oakland Truck Accidents
- Berkeley Personal Injury
- Berkeley Car Accidents
- Berkeley Construction Accidents
- Berkeley Dog Bite Injuries
- Berkeley Truck Accidents