berkeley holiday gift safety
The celebration of the Thanksgiving holiday and the infamous Black Friday shopping extravaganzas likely mark the beginning of the holiday shopping season for a number of Californians. Shopping and finding everyone in your family the perfect gift is one of the most fun parts of the holiday season, but as you shop and prepare gifts for your youngest family members, it is imperative to keep in mind simple safety tips to prevent your child or small sibling from being injured.
Courtesy of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the following are tips for safe toy giving for you and your family:
- Always select toys to suit the skills, abilities, interests, and age of your young gift recipient. Toys that are too advanced for the child may pose a safety hazard.
- To prevent burns and electrical shocks, don’t give children under the age of 10 any toy that must be plugged into an electrical outlet. Consider buying toys that are battery operated.
- Remove strings and ribbons from toys before giving them to young children, and watch for pull toys with strings longer than 12 inches. Doing so can prevent a strangulation hazard for babies.
- Children can have serious intestinal and stomach problems after swallowing button batteries and magnets, so keep them away from small children and call your healthcare provider immediately if the child swallows one.
- Small parts in toys and games can be a choking hazard for children. Per government guidelines, children under the age of three cannot have toys that have parts less than 1 ¼ inches in diameter and 2 ¼ inches long.
To have a safe and happy holiday season, adhering to these gift-giving guidelines for the youngest members of your family can prevent a dangerous accident, but the negligence of another may still endanger the safety of your child. If you child has been injured due to the careless actions of another party, contact a personal injury attorney at Balamuth Law for assistance in getting the compensation your child needs to heal. Call (888) 254-1234 for a free consultation.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101