dog bite attorney northern ca
Dogs and postal workers have a well-documented relationship. Dog bites are serious dangers for postal workers. Every pet owner has a responsibility to keep pets safely contained during any situation which injury may occur.
In 2010, according to The U.S. Postal Service, 5,669 postal workers were assaulted by dogs in more than 1,400 metropolitan regions across the country. State Farm Insurance claims it received over $90 million in 3500 dog bite claims last year. Several California cities appear on the list of top ten cities for incidents with a reported 369 attacks and more than $11 million paid in settlements. Medical bills due to dog bites allegedly cost The Postal Service almost $1.2 million in 2010, according to related statistics.
To raise awareness and lower the instances of violent interactions between dogs and postal workers, as well as other service professionals and pedestrians, here are some tips from the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Never approach a strange dog, especially one that’s tied up or restricted.
- Always ask the owner’s permission before attempting to pet a dog, and then let the animal smell you at its leisure before proceeding.
- Never run by a dog. The animal’s instinct is to chase.
- If you find yourself in an intimidating situation with a dog, avoid eye contact and do not scream or make a commotion. Remain as still as possible until the dog turns away, then retreat slowly and quietly until the canine is out of vision.
- In the event of a dog attack, put something between yourself and the dog. Anything you have on your person may help, such as a bag or bicycle.
If you’ve suffered an injury from a dog attack in Northern California, contact the Alameda County dog bite lawyers with Balamuth Harrington at 1-888-254-1234 for a complimentary consultation.
- Accountant Malpractice
- Auto Collision
- Auto Maintenance
- Auto Product Liability
- Brain Injury
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accidents
- Child Injury
- Compressed Gas Accident
- Construction Site Injuries
- Dangerous Drugs
- Dangerous Products
- Dangerous Toys Child Products
- Dog Bite Attack
- Firm News
- Legal Malpractice
- Manufacturing Defect
- Pedestrian Accident
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Scaffolding Accidents
- Slip and Fall Accident
- Train Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Work Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Be Aware Of Drunk Drivers During The Holidays
- Bicycling Accidents in the Bay Area
- Oakland Community Rallies for Improved Street Safety Following Deadly Hit and Run
- Bicyclist Fatality Provides a Stark Reminder of the Importance of Bike Safety
- 4 Dead in Wrong-Way Crash on Highway 101